Clark Farm Tenant House
Archaeological Site

East Granby, Connecticut

Artifacts

The following are representative of the more than 3,000 artifacts inventoried as a result of the archaeological testing undertaken in 1996 and 1998:


Group of ceramicsCeramics: a majority of the recovered ceramics have broad date ranges, generally covering the mid-19th to early 20th centuries. Undecorated whiteware made up almost 50% of the total. Porcelain sherds, lower in number, were not of costly quality. Some creamware typical of the late 18th and early 19th centuries was found, indicating use of older items, possibly hand-me-downs, by the house's occupants.

Typical button Shell button, late 19th to mid-20th century, one of four shell buttons found at the site. The button is discolored from being in the ground. Other button types recovered at the site include wood, iron, and brass.



'Dollar' watchInexpensive plated pocket watch, of the type known as "Dollar" watches because they could be purchased for that amount at any general store. Such watches were first mass-produced in the late 19th-century in Bristol, Connecticut, and other industrial centers, and were affordable to nearly everyone. They continued in popularity through the 1930s, when wristwatches became more the fashion.

Patent medicine bottleClear-glass patent-medicine bottle, ca. 1900, embossed "F. A. Richter & Co. Inc. / New York," one of several recovered at the site. These concoctions, often high in alcoholic content, were popular home remedies that supposedly addressed a wide variety of ailments.

Ropkins beer bottleBrown-glass beer bottle, ca. 1900, embossed "R / Ropkins & Co. / Hartford / Conn. / Registered." The E. L. Ropkins brewery was a local producer of ale and porter, 1892-1922. The presence of a period beer bottle at the site suggests that the occupants were on the "wet" side of one of the raging social issues of the day, whether to allow the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages.

Trolley tokensTwo brass tokens, ca. 1920, embossed "Connecticut Company" on one side and "Good For One fare" on the other. The Connecticut Company's trolley line (changed to a bus line in 1930) ended in the Rainbow section of the town of Windsor, 2 1/2 miles away.


Back to Main Page Arrow


Return to Main Page